August 10, 2022

Multiple kindergarteners were left feeling loopy after sipping ready-to-drink Jose Cuervo margaritas that a young girl brought to her Michigan school and shared with her classmates.

The students drank the cocktails from Dixie Cups during snack time at Grand River Academy in Livonia on Friday, according to Fox 2 Detroit.

Mothers Alexis Smith’s and another mom, Dominique Zanders, were outraged when they learned that their daughters had each had several sips of the drink.

“She felt woozy, a little dizzy,” Zanders said of her daughter.

“The girl poured it in her cup and she drank it and the girl ended up telling her what it is, and she went and told the teacher there is liquor in this cup, and the teacher gave her a funny face,” Zanders said.

The girl reportedly brought the beverage to school in her backpack.

Kindergarteners at Grand River Academy complained of feeling loopy after a girl shared liquor with her classmates.
Local 4 News

Smith said her daughter took four or five sips of the drink and told her that her classmate who brought the drink knew that it was booze.

The school said the student could be disciplined if necessary. Parents were immediately notified after the incident.

“While we try to keep an eye on everything our students bring to school, that’s simply not possible,” the school said in a statement addressing the in-class alcohol consumption.

One parent said her daughter took four or five sips of the drink and told her that the classmate who brought the drink knew it was booze.
One parent said her daughter took four or five sips of the drink and told her that the classmate who brought the drink knew it was booze.
Local 4 News

“It’s unfortunate that these types of adult beverages can be easily mistaken for child-friendly drinks,” the school said.

While some parents blamed the school, others blamed the parents of the girl who brought the margarita mix to school for the incident.

See also  Singer Jewel predicted the tragic death of Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh

“If your child knows what it is, nothing wrong with it – but they should know not to touch it,” Smith said. “That it’s not for kids.”